Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Hair: In Progress


This was January 2012 - and that's my Grandpa! 
When my hair was starting to grow in, I looked all over for an idea of how long it would take for it to look like a real style. So, I thought I'd post my hair growth progression from the last year. Just a few photos but it gives you the idea. 

I finished chemo in October 2011 (I can't remember the date without looking it up and I'm too lazy for that right now!) At Christmas I was still mostly bald. I had the tiniest amount of fuzzy growth but not really hair. 

Most of the time I still wore my scarves in January.

This was March 2012 - Sam's is still longer on top! 


This is August 9, 2012 - my last Herceptin treatment
And September 2012






And this is today - October 17, 2012 - 1 year after chemo




It took a long time for the front to grow out. For the longest time I looked like I had a really receding hairline - but nope - just slow. I've had haircuts but my hairdresser has not touched the top only the sides and back. 

I'm not loving short hair - whoever said short hair was easy - 'just get up and go' - has never had short hair. I should post a pic of what it looks like in the morning - nothing short of a full shower soaking will make it lay down! And I feel like it's taking a very long time to grow. It's a bit more coarse now compared to before and has a bit of wave. I actually take a straightener to it most mornings. I was hoping for faster growth but it's hair - I'll take it!

(and does anyone else find putting photos on blogger extremely frustrating?)

6 comments:

  1. And it's beautiful... long, short, or gone. But I appreciate you sharing this part of your journey... the daily stuff that helps the rest of us understand, what we can, of each piece and how it affects you. I have another friend going through chemo now and I think of you and the parts of your journey you've shared. Thanks for that vulnerability. :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcy. Sad about your friend - way way too much cancer around these days.

      Delete
  2. You are beautiful whatever length your hair is... but I remember the fuzz stage and have to say this is more glamorous! :-) Looks like you have some tints or highlights in it. You should model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have looked so beautiful the whole way through, Heidi! But I know what you mean about short hair in the morning, I have had everything from pixie cuts to hair 1/2 way down my back... when my hair is short is when Nathan calls me his little marmoset because of the way the hair is standing straight up in the a.m.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you look fantastic with short hair! and long too... but really, not many people can pull a look like that off :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww - thanks guys. You are too sweet. In the beginning I didn't think losing hair would be such a big deal - but it is!

    ReplyDelete