Monday, October 1, 2012

Unforming Habits

I have a few blog ideas tumbling around my brain. Snippets of thoughts in different degrees of formation. Things I think about on a fairly regular basis: what I should and shouldn't be eating, what I've learned through this experience and what does moving on or forward look like. And something I've been noticing and thinking about for a while - Sick Habits.

I have them. For instance: I watched a lot of tv while I was sick. And I'm a tv junkie - so when I say a lot - it really is a lot. But now that I'm recovered how do I say no to all my favourite shows? That's hard to do - but it's nearly impossible to watch them all and still do...well, anything. So I make rules for myself - only after the kids go to bed and not past 10. That way I'm limited. But if I've had a busy morning and I'm a bit tired I'll justify a show over lunch - I'm sitting down and eating anyway - what's the harm of tv?

And here comes another sick habit - eating while watching tv (or tv shows on my laptop). Yep - I know it's not good for you. You aren't paying attention to what your eating so you eat more, and instead of taking 20 minutes for lunch I end up taking 40 min (the amount of time it takes to watch an hour show without commercials.) And here's the thing - tv isn't all that motivating. It's not like I'm going to jump up from The Good Wife and feel like I'm ready to exercise for an hour or write or clean the house. Nope - it sort of takes my momentum and slams it into a brick wall. Suddenly all my creative ideas are gone and I'm thinking about what I just watched, what will happen next, etc. I'm tired of watching fake people live really exciting lives while I sit on the couch. I don't know if you've noticed but most people on tv shows aren't watching tv - ever.

And yet I love stories - they speak to me. So I know I won't give up all tv, I just need to learn to moderate it a bit.

One way of doing this is by breaking my other "sick" habit. Saying no to absolutely everything. I got really good at this. No to church, no to stuff at the kids school, no to any volunteering things I'd done in the past, no to company or outings with friends. Granted, until the spring I was too out of it to really do much anyway but it's fall now and I'm feeling better then I've felt in 16 months so it's time to start saying yes. And I have done that with a few things that I think I can handle. It's hard though - I love my space and I'm used to having a lot of down time. But it's good because I'm feeling useful again. I'm remembering that there are things I love to do.

And while I'm breaking some bad habits I might as well try to form some good ones. Exercise every day is one I'd love to nail. Eating plant based meals most of the time is another (I'm mostly good at this one). Writing something every day to get into that groove again, and spending time with Jesus every day. Simple things right? So why is it so hard?

What do you do to motivate yourself and form good habits? I'd love to know your tricks and tips.

Better go for now - Parenthood is on in 20 :)



10 comments:

  1. Hi - exercising is a drag, we all know it. Even walking can get dead boring when you know every tree along the way. Exercise is fun when you can find another purpose. A really really good one is cardio kickboxing. Generally 3 times a week and you get what you need exercise wise, plus, you are learning a defence skill. Great fun. And of course the other is exercising via Zumba or Bollywood dancercise. Another motivator might be something someone told Uncle Steve once when he was contemplating taking a four year Mgmt course. Someone said, four years will go by, at the end of it, you can have the certificate, or, not. Good way to think about it. Anyway, trick is to find something you want, and go for it. The time is going to go by anyway...aunt elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true and I've never really thought about it like this. Time is passing might as well do something good with it! Thanks Aunt Elizabeth

      Delete
  2. I can so relate to this post! I watched 3 Lifetime movies in a row on Sunday and I saw 2 of them before. When I was recovering from my surgery or having a bad side effect day, sitting in front of the TV was the only thing I could do. NOW, I am having some feel good days and I can't drag myself away!

    I am reading quite a few books, too, so I feel redeemed in that sense. But I know I have to get up and start moving! I guess we are all in the same boat. We have to start over and ease back into the life we used to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - All the nurses told me to take it slow and that I would feel sort of at loose ends after treatment. I think that's part of it for sure. Starting over isn't easy though is it? Sometimes I get so worried about wasting my life I find it hard to do anything!

      Delete
  3. Ahhh, Parenthood. My favourite :) I find that I am completely unmotivated if the house is a mess. After I put Silas for his nap I want to just veg in front of the TV, but I make myself clean up (kitchen, living room, whatever needs it the most) for 15 minutes before I'm allowed to sit down. I'm always amazed at what I can accomplish in that short time. And once things are tidy I find I'm more motivated to do those "other" things that I don't ever feel like I have time for :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie - totally feel that way about my house to. And if the clean up job is daunting that just makes it worse! I like your idea to go hard for 15 minutes - then you're still doing something productive and getting to watch tv too! Sounds good to me.

      Delete
  4. I get what you're saying. I am bad for having the TV on "just in case", even when I'm on the computer. Like I'm going to miss...what exactly?

    I've started running with a group of friends who are new to running and getting back in to running. We meet every Sunday. This motivates me to run on my own twice a week so I can keep up with them. Getting into good habits with friends usually helps me keep them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lore - exercising with others is a great idea. It sure does help with the motivation. And good for you for running already - you're still in treatment for goodness sakes!! Awesome.

      Delete
    2. Running helps with anger, I find. Which is a good thing!

      Delete
  5. We just cancelled our TV, we had stopped watching TV say for one show a week and we thought paying $15 for one show was crazy. Although sometimes I miss it, I know we are better for it. I also have so much more time to be creative and do the things I love! As far as exercise, taking classes with friends is the best motivator. If I know someone will be there waiting for me, then I always show up. It's a great way to get out of the house and spend time with someone while taking care of your body!!!

    ReplyDelete